When someone signs up and you want to find out if they’re a big company and how much traffic they’re getting and where from, you need SEMRush. It tells you where they’re at, where they’re going and the sort of key words their blog posts target which in turn tells you some of their underlying motivations.
Today I’ve been using SEMRush to evaluate a list of customer success software providers.
The company I’m looking at right now is ClientSuccess.com.
What SEMRush shows for ClientSuccess.com
Let's put our Sherlock Holmes cap on and analyse them
They’re competing against companies like Gainsight and Totango as they’re listed in the paid key words section.
They doubled their traffic from around February 2018, likely due to being involved Saastr Annual 2018 as it’s a high ranking backlink of theirs.
- They rank first for the term ‘client success’ and are fifth for ‘customer success’.
I’ve noticed that more and more companies are using the term ‘client success manager’ so this is a good domain name for the long run.
As they rank well for ‘customer success’, they’ve probably got a good blog using those keywords a lot and their home page is one which both states those keywords and keeps users reading once they get there.
How does this help our team at Upscope?
It tells us a few things that we could not easily figure out from Linkedin or a general Google search.
- They’re growing and strongly positioned for further growth.
- We know they recently grew from Saastr Annual and probably have double the number of leads to deal with.
- We know who their competitors are, what sort of search terms bring their users to their site and so roughly what outcomes their users are looking for.
- We can combine all this information and and give them a better demo of our own product because we know where they are, where they're going and what problems they might have.
- We can approach them for co-marketing efforts because we know which keywords they wish to rank for. We can submit a guest post to them that helps nail the type of traffic they want and that we'd also like to get.
This information is also great for approaching them for business development and marketing. For example, let's say we wanted to write a guest post they'd be interested in adding to their blog which would give us an important back link. We could target specific keywords they might be weak on and wish to strengthen.
We pay $99 / month for SEMRush and use it daily for both blogging and for analysis like this.
Show users your website like never before
Subscribe and get updates
Get the latest posts delivered right to your inbox