What user onboarding is proven to work? There's a lot of advice so we'll take a look at specific practical examples of things companies did to improve their user onboarding including emails, UX and remembering that it's still sales.
Roundup: What onboarding emails have worked for companies?
This roundup of 27 companies includes their full set of onboarding emails and key advice.
Key lessons learned include:
- The first ten days after your new user signs up are critical.
- Make every email actionable.
- Give users multiple nudges.
- Analyse and understand the different personas who sign up.
- Address UNCERTAINTY with FLEXIBILITY.
- Emails often live and die by their subject lines.
Roundup: What onboarding UX has worked for companies?
In this roundup see tried and tested different approaches to achieve the best UX.
Key lessons include:
- Extend the trial based on usage.
- Create a guided tour of the entire site.
- Have a very low threshold of effort for every step.
- Feedback is central to every improvement.
- Ethics are an important design consideration.
- Focus on dialogue.
Start reading how to perfect your onboarding UX
Convert those who didn't onboard first time? Close.io are sales experts. See what they did.
Close.io were an outsourced sales service who then built their own software. In short, they really know how to sell.
I get good emails from Close.io every week and they tempt me to read even when they are only partially relevant to me because I only signed up to Close to investigate an integration to their software.
I sat down to analyse why they were so good. Key lessons learned:
- Good subject headers are essential.
- Send consistently. Close.io send a good email every week.
- Use the APP formula.
- You can plug your product in your educational emails directly, honestly and without sounding salesy.
See our analysis of Close.io's drip email campaign
What's the argument for manual onboarding? Pretty strong
See why one to one onboarding is how you discover and learn about most apps and how to do this effortlessly using the latest tech.
Read more about doing manual onboarding for conversion and churn wonders
We'll add further roundups to this guide in time
Do you want to sell to enterprises?